February 19 marks the beginning of the Chinese New Year, the first day of the traditional Chinese lunar calendar. But what exactly is the holiday for, and why is this the year of the sheep? Here are a few fun facts to share with your family about this ancient holiday!
- Year of the Sheep: Each year of the calendar is represented by one of twelve animals who are said to have participated in an ancient race. 2015 is the year of the sheep, and babies born under the sign of the sheep are said to be calm, creative, persevering and honest.
- Weeks of Celebrating: The celebrations for the Chinese New Year can last up to fifteen days, with different festivals, foods and moments of remembrance on each day. While some communities now celebrate the holiday in a shorter period of time, many still maintain the traditional calendar.
- Delicious Food: Festive meals and foods are a big part of celebrating the Chinese New Year, and anyone celebrating will eat very well over the fifteen days! One such festival meal is a reunion dinner, Nian Ye Fan, where family members gather to celebrate the new year together. A traditionally large dinner, there are typically oodles of meat dishes, seafood, and a communal hot pot!
- Fire Displays: Festivities are often marked with fireworks displays and the setting off of red-wrapped firecrackers. The burning of firecrackers signifies a happy and joyous time of year, and the booming sound is a welcome one at celebrations.
How will you celebrate this year?!
Mornings can be tough on children, so why not start the day on the right foot with a delicious and nutritious meal? Our recipe for Breakfast Friends is easy and fun to pull together and is sure to put smiles on sleepy faces!
What You Need:
- 4 slices of thick, whole-grain bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dried cranberries or raisins for eyes
- Animal or gingerbread man shaped cookie cutters
- Mixing bowl and damp cloth
- Fork or whisk
- Frying pan
What To Do:
- Use your cookie cutter to stamp out some ‘friends’ from the bread
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl.
- Put the damp cloth under your bowl to keep it place, and then whisk lightly with your fork or whisk.
- Add the yogurt and beat again.
- Beat in the honey and cinnamon.
- Dip the shapes, one at a time, into the eggy mixture.
- Heat a piece of butter in the frying pan and when it is hot, add some bread shapes. Cook each one for 1-2 minutes and then flip to the other side and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until golden. Add more butter as needed and add the dried fruit for eyes once you remove the bread from the pan.
So easy, and so yummy to make, you’re going to want to make these every week! As an added bonus, older kids can help with the preparation.
Keep an eye out for our new recipe deck Kids Kitchen later this year for more fun recipes.
To view the UK recipe, click here!
In the depths of winter, add some crafting fun with an easy to make but sure to please pine cone bird feeder! This feeder is not only fun to create, but useful too. After you’re finished, your child can select the perfect place to hang it outside to help feed wild birds in the wintertime. Read on for instructions:
What to Get:
One large, open pine cone / String / Peanut Butter / Oats / Birdseed / A shallow dish
What To Do:
- Loop the string under the top scales of the pine cone and tie it in a tight knot.
- Mix the peanut butter and the oats together in a bowl.
- Push the mixture into the pine cone, filling the spaces between the scales. Spread the mixture over the surface of the pine cone.
- Pour some birdseed into the shallow dish.
- Roll the pine cone in the birdseed until it is well covered.
- Hang the pine cone feeder in your garden for the birds to enjoy!
Download a copy of these craft instructions here!
With 2015 now off and running, we’re willing to bet that many a well-intentioned New Year’s resolution has already fallen by the wayside. So why not try to make some resolutions that will last through the year, and can be done with the support of your family too? Here are our top five resolutions for the family:
- Learn Something New: When you think about it, we’re learning new things all the time, so this resolution is both educational and easy! Decide as a family something you’d all love to learn, and make a plan to give it a try together. Maybe you dedicate Tuesday nights to learning how to knit, or decide to take cooking lessons together. The possibilities are endless!
- Cook a Meal Together: The pressure is on at the start of the year to eat well and make healthy choices, so make it fun by cooking a meal together! Children can work on appetizers and desserts, while adults handle the main dishes. Plus, by spending a night in rather than eating out, you’ll save pennies and calories.
- Sleep In: The benefits of a good night’s sleep are well-documented, but in today’s busy times, we’re more likely than ever to forgo that which helps us most! Take the time to sleep in when you can this year, whether it’s an extra hour on the weekends or a few extra minutes after your alarm buzzes in the morning. Your body (and your teenagers) will thank you!
- Give Back: Take some time this year to give back to your community. Getting the entire family involved is easy with the many options out there for volunteering. Not only is this resolution something you can feel good about, but it sets an example for your children and connects you to your community in ways you won’t have experienced before.
- Read a Good Book: Our favorite resolution of course! Family storytimes are fun, simple and easy to get into the habit of doing. Get started tonight by picking a few of your favorites off the shelf. This resolution guarantees many nights of precious memories and sweet dreams!
What resolutions will you keep this year?
Starting your own home-based business is not a simple decision, but if you have been on the fence about taking a closer look at our Ambassador Opportunity, we promise now is the time to join!
Why now? Check out our top 5 reasons to become an Ambassador today:
We are having a special, exclusive, only-time-this-year, Starter Kit sale! For a limited time, you can sign up to become an Ambassador for only $99.99/£64.99 (originally $139.99/£89.99) and receive $300/£200 worth of beautiful books and gifts to launch your business! Want more? You also receive amazing business tools, resources, support and training for FREE!
With our New Year, New You sales challenge you can earn back $50/£30 CASH simply by achieving $1000/£600** in personal qualifying volume, or sales by the end of February. Sign up now, and that gives you almost two full months to hold events and to earn a $50/£30 bonus, essentially making your business start up costs only $49/£34! **NOTE: an email was sent 20 January with the incorrect figure of $600/£400 to earn the cash bonus. The correct amount is $1000/£600. We apologize for any inconvenience.
One of the best things about becoming an Ambassador is that you can build your business to suit your lifestyle and your family’s needs. Whether you are looking to make this opportunity a chance to get out and network as a full-time career, or looking for a way to spend time with your family and learn from the business together, we provide various business options and all of the support you will need to assist you in achieving your goals!
It’s January, and let’s face it, it’s cold outside! We are finished making our resolutions, and we’re looking for things to do to keep busy and prevent cabin fever during the winter months. This is the perfect time to launch your business because you will have plenty of eager hosts chomping at the bit to hold Barefoot Books parties at their homes! You can have parties for just adults, or kid-friendly parties with crafts and games. You will hit your sales goals in no time.
Lastly, and most importantly, becoming an Ambassador is a business opportunity you can feel great about. Our mission is to share stories, connect families and inspire children. When you become an Ambassador you share beautiful, educational, and diverse books and products with your community and in doing so, nurturing a love of storytelling and creativity in families. What could be better?
We hope that you will join us on our Barefoot journey! Our Starter Kit sale ends 2 February, so don’t hesitate!
We can’t believe the New Year is already upon us! In the frenzy leading up to the holidays, time seems to go faster than ever, and it’s important to remember and savor every moment. Now that the holidays are over, it’s time to take a deep breath and ponder – what’s next? What will make 2015 a great year for you, and for your family? Wouldn’t it be wonderful to positively impact your community as well?
If these sound like your aspirations for 2015, you should explore our Ambassador Opportunity. Our Ambassadors are a community of moms, dads, grandparents, teachers and librarians; anyone who is passionate about running a business, sharing beautiful books with their communities and making a difference in the lives of children globally.
Added bonuses? You can earn significant income and have a great time doing it! What’s more, for a limited time, our starter kit is only $99/£64! That’s $300/£200 worth of gorgeous books and gifts and business tools to launch your business.
Here is what one of our North American Ambassadors, Sharon NDiaye, has to say about the program,
“The book We All Went on Safari began my love of Barefoot Books, and the bilingual books! Now, a year later, I am a leader in this amazing company. Through my example, my daughter embraces business and promoting literacy!
There are so many ways to run a Barefoot business, so be sure to check out the opportunity, and be in touch with us if you would like to learn more. For a more interactive experience, join a live call to hear about the program. There is no better time of year to reset and refocus, and try something new!
With the new year beginning, we’re reminded of our favourite wintertime activity. Everyone has one or two particular childhood memories about clamouring into bed with a beloved book, and listening with drooping eyelids as sleep takes over. Now you may have children of your own, so you know that nothing completes the nighttime routine better than a bedtime story. It’s a special time when the world is quieting, and the hustle and bustle of the busy day is winding down. It’s one last moment of togetherness — a time to say “I love you”.
And stories aren’t just for sharing before bed; they’re a wonderful way to settle the family down throughout the day, exercise the imagination and get a conversation started. Stories help us face fears, work through unfamiliar scenarios and introduce us to a world of make-believe that would be otherwise inaccessible. Reading together is so much more than a simple recreational activity. Inside the pages of a book, families can enjoy pointing out details in the artwork, posing questions about the characters, and even trying to finish the rhyme or guessing what will happen next. The whole process creates a connection between the reader and the child while simultaneously strengthening the child’s reading skills and their understanding of core concepts.
With a chill in the air and heavy down blankets to snuggle up in, winter is an ideal time for piling the kids in your lap and cuddling up with a book. They’ll love being with you and hearing your voice as you read each page, and you’ll love the peaceful togetherness that rounds out another day. A very Happy New Year filled with stories and love to you and yours!
The tree is trimmed, Santa’s cookies are cooling on the counter, and the stockings are hung by the chimney with care. You’ve made a list, but when you check it twice, you find you’re short one gift! Not to worry — we’ve got you covered with our favourite last-minute gift sets. You can get it there on time with expedited shipping, still available until 19 December!
1. Dinosaur Dreams Gift Set: Perfect for the busy toddler in your life, this book and puzzle pair provide hours of interactive fun.
2. Opposites Gift Set: Help develop vocabulary with these bright and engaging board books that are pleasing to the eye and easy on your wallet.
3. Animal Boogie Gift Set: Shake, rattle and roll down to the Indian jungle with this bestselling singalong, then keep the fun going with its accompanying puzzle.
4. Greek Epic Gift Set: This combo of classic tales is a surefire gift for the adventurer in your life. The classic tales will stay with them for a lifetime!
5. Miss Clara Gift Set: The unforgettable paper sculpture illustrations of French artist Miss Clara make this trio of classic fairy tales totally unique.
Shop these gift sets now, before it’s too late!
As you light each candle of the menorah this Hanukkah season, gather the family together and curl up with a good Barefoot book. We’ve collected eight unique stories for each night of your Hanukkah celebration that exemplify the importance of family, acceptance and working together towards a better world.
The Barefoot Book of Jewish Tales — “Elijah’s Wisdom”
The prophet Elijah rewards the good and punishes the bad, but not in the way you’d think! This tale encourages selflessness and generosity by reminding readers that anyone could potentially be a prophet in disguise.
The Boy Who Grew Flowers
Everyone in the Bowagon family is considered “different” by the townspeople, but after Rink Bowagon does something nice for new student Angelina, he finds out that he’s not so different after all. This Barefoot favourite encourages acceptance of one another’s unique — and sometimes quirky! — qualities.
The Barefoot Book of Jewish Tales — “Challah in the Ark”
When Eliana decides to bake challah every Sabbath and leave it in the synagogue as a holy offering, her gesture means more than she knows. This beautiful story shows that gestures filled with love are never wasted.
The Barefoot Book of Mother & Daughter Tales — “Naomi and Ruth” (A Hebrew tale)
After Naomi loses family members during a terrible famine, her daughter-in-law Ruth promises to stay by her side, no matter what. Even when things look gloomiest, family always comes through.
Motherbridge of Love
This story celebrates the relationship between a child and her adoptive parent, and the different kinds of love her birth mother and adoptive mother give to her. Every family has love at its core.
The Girl with a Brave Heart: A Tale from Tehran
After performing a series of chores for her elderly neighbour, Shiraz is rewarded for her ability to see past people’s rough exteriors and into their hearts — but her nasty stepsister doesn’t have quite the same experience!
The Story Tree: Tales to Read Aloud — “The Blue Coat” (A Jewish tale)
Rambunctious young Tom continues to wear through the clothing his mother sews him, but she willingly reconstructs each garment with love rather than restricting his free-spirited ways.
The Barefoot Book of Jewish Tales — “The Perfect Mistake”
When the king and his daughter discover a crack in their “perfect” diamond, they learn that imperfections in the world — and within ourselves — are what make life so special.
Shop these titles to share with your family this holiday season.
The Barefoot Book of Jewish Tales: North America / Europe
The Boy Who Grew Flowers: North America / Europe
The Barefoot Book of Mother and Daughter Tales: North America only
Motherbridge of Love: North America / Europe
The Girl with a Brave Heart: North America / Europe
The Story Tree: North America / Europe
Explore our complete Holiday Gift Guide!
Wrapping a book is fairly straightforward, right? Fold up those corners and then you’re done. Well, at least that’s how you could do it, but who wouldn’t appreciate some extra fun wrapping this year? Check out our favourite ways to wrap up a good book for Christmas gift giving:
Give an Ornament: Add a little something extra to your book with an ornament for a tag! Purchase a flat ornament to lay on top, or get extra crafty and make your own using thick paper or cardboard.